An Adorable Teddy Bear Picnic for Adam's First Birthday


Adam is one already, wow! For his first birthday, we went all out celebrating with a teddy bear picnic in our backyard. It turned out better than I had hoped! I had been looking forward to that day for a while. We lucked out with beautiful weather and had lots of family and friends help us celebrate. Adam seemed to enjoy the party too, and he looked absolutely charming in his teddy bear gingham outfit.

On the actual day of his birthday, a Friday, I took the day off so that I could spoil him. Really, I wanted to spoil myself too. Reaching one year of parenthood was just as much a milestone for me. The first year had many highs -- the laughs, giggles, developmental milestones, general cuteness overload -- and lows -- newborn crying, sleepless nights, short naps, and me getting mastitis. Through it all, every morning of his life, I have sung this song to him in the mornings, "This is the day the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it." Even on the mornings when I had a sore throat, or was dizzy with fatigue, or was late for work. 

So Adam and I went on a sun-filled walk to our yoga class in the morning, and hung out in the backyard with our moms and Shaun in the afternoon. We gave Adam a Radio Flyer wagon and a Paddington bear.


On the day of his birthday, we took some pictures in the morning, and I'm so glad we did.  They turned out great!



We decorated the backyard and got everything ready just as the guests started coming. We had picnic food of course: PB&J sandwiches with chocolote chips for the eyes, chicken salad sandwiches, lemonade, watermelon, veggie sticks and dip, and crackers and cheese. The sandwiches and cheese were cut out in bear shapes -- like I said, we went all out. 

The decorations - including handmade party hats by "Grauntie" Charlene and Grandma Sandy:




Other decorations included a teddy bear centerpiece, banners, flowers, and picnic baskets filled with stuffed animals. I also had a foam board with pictures of Adam each month from birth to 11 months old. 

We even had our own entertainment, a guitarist and singer who plays a variety of children's songs by Raffi, Laurie Berkner, and others. No, it wasn't Casper Babypants. It was Shaun! He has been playing kids songs on the guitar and singing since January of this year, even though guitar is not his main instrument (bass is). But he's gotten pretty good and Adam loves hearing Dad play!

After Shaun played some songs, I read the story "The Teddy Bear's Picnic" which is a classic from the early 20th century. I did not grow up reading this story, but many people I've talked to know the story and/or know the song that goes with it. The story is simply the song lyrics, illustrated. It's cute. 

Next we played a game, Pin the Bow Tie on the Teddy Bear. My mom had made a drawing of a bear on a foam board, and cut out paper bow ties. The kids were a little too young to understand the humor of the game, but they had fun nonetheless. After that game, it was "free time" for kids to run around and parents to mingle. The kids played with bubbles, a bean bag toss, trucks, and we had a coloring station. 

Group shot with our party hats: 

For the cake, we had a huge teddy bear shaped cake that was chocolate "dobash" flavored, meaning a Hawaiian-style spongecake. It was delicious - very rich. Adam had his own teddy bear shaped jumbo chocolate cupcake. But he was so tired and overstimulated by that point that he wasn't too enthused about the cupcake. Shaun actually had to put a taste of the chocolate into his mouth before he realized, hey, that doesn't taste so bad!


Overall it was a wonderful day to celebrate Adam's first year and the joy his life has given not only to Shaun and me, but to so many other people. He is such a sweetheart!

Popular posts from this blog

Mt Rainier Backpacking Trip & Bainbridge Island Bike Trip

The Mom Diaries, Part 1: New Mom Survival Guide

Europe Trip 2016: Part 2, Paris